This photo is believed to be of the Burr Oak General Store. Corrections or date information would be welcome.
A 1953 advertisement for Deckard's Super Market in Culver -- prices have certainly changed since then.
Gretter's Market was located on the east side of Main Street, in what is today a vacant lot just south of Verl's Barber shop, directly across the street from the
bank. Detailed information about the years of operation of Gretter's would be welcome (photo courtesy Phil Gretter)
Another image of Gretter's market, this time the interior, circa 1968 (photo courtesy Phil Gretter).
Manor Market was once a familiar sight on East Shore Drive (State Rd. 117), on whose corner (at the intersection of 18B Rd) it sat for many years before it was torn down in the 1980s. This photo was taken by White Photography of Culver on June 1, 1970, apparently after some storm damage.
Van's Market, one of several businesses in the village of Maxinkuckee off of East Shore Drive, an area that once boasted its own one-room schoolhouse (the building still stands, just east of the former Bigley's Orchard Store) as well as the well-known Allegheny Hotel, which reportedly houses Lew Wallace as he wrote the opening chapters of his famous novel, Ben Hur. This photo was taken circa 1935, and is courtesy the Marshall County Historical Museum
The R & J Market, later changed to Manor Market, near East Shore Drive, another of several businesses that served the village of Maxinkuckee
In this 1953 photo, Foreman's Store celebrated its 25th anniversary in Culver.
Two photos from the Donna Edgington collection, courtesy Sherrill Fujimerra. At left, a 1920s photo of the Medbourn/McClane grocery store in Main Street. At right: a 1916 photo from the Donna Edgington collection depicting a store located -- probably -- located where Dr. Babcock's vision and eyecare clinic was located for many years, on the east side of South Main Street.
Gretter's Market was in operation from 1955 - 1977. Then Chuck Robeson bought the building and remodeled it, according to Judi Burns (thanks to her for the information!). Another image of the interior of Gretter's Market (photo courtesy Phil Gretter)
Some Gretter's memorabilia (courtesy Phil Gretter)
Saine & Sons Grocery on the corner of Main and Jefferson Streets, where Mary's Shoppe is today located.
Lee Anson Overmyer in front of his general store, opened in 1912 in the village of Maxinkuckee on the east side of the lake. Anson also operated a "huckster wagon," possibly visible in the garage behind him, from which he sold goods around the lake. Thanks to Helen Overmyer for this photo.
Another shot of Van's Market in Maxinkuckee.
Margaret Houghton and Josephine McFarland Vanschoiack posed in front of Van's Grocery in Maxinkuckee. Vanschoiack and husband Walter owned the market. The names, McFarland, Houghton, and Vanschoiack, are well-known to longtime Culver-area residents as prominent families in the area since quite early on.
Walter and Josephine Vanschoiack in front of the aforementioned Van's Grocery, circa 1935
Two April, 1981 articles from the Culver Citizen on Park N' Shop supermarket.